SOUTH AFRICA –
MORE than 300 people have been arrested in South Africa following government crack down on xenophobic violence.
Government officials said on Sunday in Johannesburg that 307 suspects had been arrested for a range of xenophobic-related crimes.
Security agencies have also increased the police presence on the ground after at least eight deaths in anti-immigrant violence in the past week.
More than 1,000 people have been displaced after violence against foreign nationals flared up on March 30 in Durban, capital of coastal province of KwaZulu-Natal.
The attacks soon spread inland to the country’s financial hub, Johannesburg, in Gauteng province.
On Saturday, another two people were reported killed, bringing the death toll in the latest wave of attacks to eight, South African police said.
Meanwhile, an uneasy calm prevailed in Johannesburg on Sunday, on the third day since violence against foreigners erupted in the city.