KayK’s Corner… Your Inspirational Corner!
It often appears as though stress is just a normal way of life. Regardless of what you do, there will always be something more to do, something that pulls you or requires your attention; another deadline, another family or work responsibility, or another bill to pay. Stress has its purpose in our lives. There are positive and negative stressors. Even when it is a positive stress, it may sometimes feel like ”this is too much” or as if there is too much to do. It can be so overwhelming to say the least. Defined as ”a state of mental or emotional strain or tension resulting from adverse or very demanding circumstances,” how we manage the stressors in lives matters.
EUSTRESS, yes! That’s what positive stress is called. The word eustress consists of two parts. The prefix eu- is derived from the Greek word meaning either “well” or “good.” When attached to the word stress, it literally means “good stress”. It can give an extra burst of adrenaline to help you accomplish goals and meet deadlines. This kind of stress also provides mental alertness, motivation, and efficiency, just as it can increase self-esteem. Positive stress has its role in our lives. We are driven to succeed, motivated to perform daily on our jobs. We date, and have relationships that excite us and pull from us. We plan parties, celebrations and vacations, but as any bride can tell you, although we want the celebration, weddings are STRESSFUL, so, stress is not all bad, it can also be good. We just have to be mindful of what kind and level of stress we are in. Positive stress helps us to FOCUS and concentrate our efforts and MOTIVATE us to PERFORM.
DISTRESS, that is negative stress. It comes with great mental or physical suffering, such as extreme anxiety, sadness, or pain. Negative stressors in our life can affect our health physically, emotionally and spiritually. Living under the pressure of things out side of our control can be stressful and frustrating. Stress is apart of our lives, but MANAGING the stressors are important to maintaining health, happiness and fulfillment in our lives.
So how do we manage the stress in our lives? There are several things that we can do:
- Be “self aware.” Know what stresses you. Good or Bad, know what it is and IDENTIFY how it affects you. Headaches? Tension?, “Snappy personality”? What are the signs that you are stressed out? Understand your response and manage your responses (especially with family).
- Focus on MANAGING perspective. Many times overwhelming situations can feel like the world is closing in. But managing your perspective will help you gain control of how the situation you cannot control affects you. There WILL BE a solution. There IS an answer. By focusing on the solution, solutions will begin to expand.
- WORKOUT!!! Working out raises the endorphins and lowers the stress hormone “cortisol” and “epinephrine”. When we are stressed, these two hormones have a physical response in the body. According to Psychology Today, elevated cortisol and epinephrine in the body can result in several ways: interferes with learning and memory, lower immune function and bone density, increase weight gain, blood pressure, cholesterol, and heart disease. Working out can lower the effects of these hormones and help you relieve the symptoms of the stress.
- Practice meditating or “finding your center” is often advised for people who need to reduce stress. Meditating is apart of just about every religion or spiritual awareness. MEDITATION calms the mind. It helps to relax the body as we relax the mind, it will reduce stress. Finding a spiritual balance to life will not only reduce your stress, it can also prevent it!
- Find a HOBBY or activity that you love! Work hard, we know that part well. However, it is the fun of life that we often need to be reminded to enjoy. It is important to be balanced and ENJOY an activity that is pleasurable and soothing to your mind and soul.
Life may weigh heavily on you, and stressors WILL come!!! Good or bad stress happens most certainly! However, it is HOW we deal with these stressors that is more important. Be aware, deal with it and find balance. We are victorious daily, as we conquer each little battle. Live long and prosper!
With Love, KayK!