NEARLY all of the 110 schoolgirls abducted by Boko Haram in northeastern Nigeria last month have been released by the armed group.
The Federal Government said on Wednesday that 101 of the 110 schoolgirls had been confirmed freed and the number “would be updated after the remaining ones have been documented.”
Information minister, Lai Mohammed, said in a statement, that no ransoms were paid.
The girls were released “through back-channel efforts and with the help of some friends of the country and it was unconditional”.
A decision against military “confrontation” was part of the agreement, Mohammed said.
The schoolgirls were abducted after fighters stormed the Government Science and Technical College in Dapchi, in the northeastern state of Yobe, on February 19.
Witnesses said the fighters also warned residents: “Don’t ever put your daughters in school again.”
Boko Haram means “Western education is forbidden” in the Hausa language.
Amnesty International on Tuesday cited security officials and witnesses as saying the military and police received at least five calls in the hours before the February school attack but failed to act. Nigeria denied the accusations.
In 2014, Boko Haram abducted 276 schoolgirls from Chibok, in northern Borno state, and about 100 never returned to their families.
The latest mass abduction was believed to have been carried out by a Boko Haram splinter group aligned with Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL).