Sanwo-olu Indicts Army – Says ‘Footage Shows They Ordered Shooting of Peaceful Protesters’

LAGOS State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu has confirmed that men in Nigerian Army uniform were at the scene of last Tuesday’s protest, which reportedly left about 9 peaceful protesters dead.

In an interview with CNN, Sanwo-Olu said that CCTV footage from the Lekki Toll Gate showed that the people who carried out the shootings were in military uniform.

“From the footage that we could see, because there are cameras at that facility, it seems to me that they were men in military uniform, it should be Nigerian Army or something,’’ Sanwo-olu said.

When asked for confirmation of his statement that the military ordered that peaceful protesters be shot at; the Lagos State Governor responded: ‘’Yes, they (military) were there. That’s what the footage, that’s what it shows.’’

The Governor assured that evidences (footages) from the CCTV would be made available to the judicial panel during their investigation.

It would be recalled that the military had earlier denied involvement in the shootings, saying on its Twitter handle, that reports of the unfortunate incident was ‘’fake news.’’

Sanwo-olu committed to a full investigation of what happened on the ground, saying “we will do everything’’ to ensure that those involved in the attack were held accountable.

He however, noted that he is not the Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces.

‘’I’m a governor of a state. My report will be out, we will channel the report to all relevant authorities in the state to ensure that everyone that is found culpable is accountable for the act.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *